Sunday, May 19, 2013

Hey diddle, diddle

I first learned to recite the poem when I was 3 or 4.
So I taught my youngest son one night, with all the lights off, on a rainy night...

I recited the poem -

Hey diddle, diddle,
the cat and the fiddle
The cow jumped over the moon
And the little dog laughed to see
such a sport

Me: Ok now, you follow me.
       Hey diddle diddle
Aa: Hey diddle diddle
Me: The cat and the fiddle
Aa: The cat and the fiddle
Me:  The cow jumped over the moon
Aa: (looked bewildered)
Me: The cow jumped over the moon
Aa: Ma, there's no moon, it's raining
Me: Oh, yes, but it's just part of the poem
Aa: (and he really can't say it)
Me: Sige na  baby, the cow jumped over the moon
Aa: Ma, the cow can't jump! It's just eating grass.  It's the horse that jumps

I didn't know a very simple poem can be so complicated .

No comments: